Sandro,

This behaviour is not specific to tycho, this is how maven works. Consider the following project

parent/
 moduleA/
 moduleB/ depends on moduleA

If you run "mvn test" on parent project (this is called "reactor build", if I am not mistaken) maven will resolve inter-module dependency inside the build. If, however, you run "mvn test" on moduleB project, then maven will use local or remote repositories to resolve dependency on moduleA.

It is possible to run tests independently using profiles, but it requires some configuration. Specifically, you can define "production" and "test" profiles, that only includes production and test projects respectively. Then you can run "mvn install -Pproduction" to build production projects and install build results into local repository. "mvn test -Ptest" will let you just run the tests. And "mvn test -Pproduction,test" will let do build/test in one shot.

Note that in case of tycho, "test" profile will have to have target platform specification that includes bundles/features produced in "production" profile.

Hope this helps.

--
Regards,
Igor

Lupone wrote:
Hi

I just found out that when performing mvn install the tests are run
successfully! Quite astonishing, isn't it? But I still need to know, how I
can run the tests without going through the entire maven lifecycle, since
I'd like to trigger the tests independently from the build.

Thanks in adavance.

Regards
 Sandro

Lupone wrote:
Hi all

I've got two eclipse-plugin projects: plugin1 and plugin1.test. The latter
is obviously in charge of testing plugin1. In order to be able to test
plugin1 plugin1.test has been configured to have a dependency on plugin1.
Both project-folders are in the same parent-directory. Using mvn
org.codehaus.tycho:maven-tycho-plugin:generate-poms in this directory I
had the parent-pom file as well as the pom-file for the two projects
generated. Running a build in this parent directory works smoothly. But
when I try to run the osgi-test using mvn
org.codehaus.tycho:maven-osgi-test-plugin:test the test is not performed
due to a NullPointerException at
org.codehaus.tycho.osgitools.OsgiStateController.getUserProperty(OsgiStateController.java:511)

Note that I've changed the package-type in the pom-file of the
plugin1.test project from eclipse-plugin to eclipse-test-plugin. I also
made sure that I first built the package and then run the test. If I try
to run the test in the project-folder of plugin1.test it fails claiming
that there is a unresolved bundle-dependency to plugin1, which indeed is
correct.

You can test it by yourself using the projects found here http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/tycho/trunk/tycho-its/projects/tycho98/
http://svn.sonatype.org/m2eclipse/tycho/trunk/tycho-its/projects/tycho98/
. It is exactly the same structure and results in the same error.

I tested it using tycho distribution-0.3.0-DEV-1756.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it a bug?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thank you very much!
Regards
 Sandro