Hi Guillaume
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Guillaume Billard <gbill...@krysalide.fr>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My company is looking into creating a website for clothes shopping built
> around a recommendation engine. User criteria would be past purchases and
> items that have been looked at (à la Amazon), measurements, personal tastes
> (colours, clothing styles...).
> Items criteria would be colours, clothing styles, etc.
>
> It is not decided yet if we try and build our own engine or if we can
> benefit from an existing one.
>
> 1/ How active is Mahout development? The last commit is very recent if I'm
> not mistaken. Can we expect improvements/new features in the future?

http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/reports/mahout
 <http://fisheye6.atlassian.com/reports/mahout>Yes tons of them 5 cool new
algorithms to come this summer with GSOC projects alone. And plenty of
improvements to the core structures

> 2/ I believe Mahout can be used in a commercial software, free of charge,
> due to the Apache license. Am I mistaken?
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html
> 3/ How long did it take to develop Mahout?

Its been active for 3 years now

> 4/ Do you reckon it is a good idea to try and use Mahout for the project I
> described?
> YES (Though as a developer its a biased opinion) See the code, browse the
> wiki
> 5/ How long do you reckon it would take for a programmer used to Java &
> database management to get used to the framework and use it effectively in a
> real-world app?
> Depends on effectively. You can get up and running very quickly (single
> command line) provided you have transformed your data into the correct
> format. You might need to spend a little time understanding that structure.
> Thats it

 Sorry if these are vague questions, I'm just starting researching on this
> subject!

These are some vague answers :) But these links might be able to answer it
more in detail

Robin