Hi Kris,

  So you already know how to make a sparse feature matrix out of
your Solr index, based on Grant's instructions?  Once you have that
matrix loaded into HDFS, then the following Java code should
create a document-document similarity matrix:

//
  String p = "/path/to/matrix/on/hdfs";
  String tmpPath = "/tmp/matrixmultiplyspace";
  int numDocuments = // whatever your numDocuments is
  int numTerms = // total number of terms in the matrix

  DistributedRowMatrix text = new DistributedRowMatrix(inputPath,
    tmpPath, numDocuments, numTerms);
  JobConf conf = new JobConf("similarity job");
  text.configure(conf);

  DistributedRowMatrix transpose = text.transpose();

  DistributedRowMatrix similarity = transpose.times(transpose);
  System.out.println("Similarity matrix lives: " + similarity.getRowPath());
//

Now, the rows of this similarity are going to be way too dense, so
you'll want to write a small map-reduce job (well, no reduce is necessary)
to run over this matrix and trim out all the unuseful entries of each
row, but that shouldn't be too hard to do.

Of course, to do it really efficiently, that functionality could be folded
into the reducer of the matrix multiply job, and done in the same pass over
the data as that one.

  -jake