Dont think too much on the naming conventions. There is a little more to the
story. For example for each feature growth() is called which, along with the
other two are optimized to mine TopK frequent patterns for a particular
feature(here called as currentAttribute).
For the returned patterns from TopDown and BottomUp, the merge step is done
differently (optimized again for speed to remove some redundant checks) if
either the attribute is having a higher support or a lower support than
the current Attribute.

At the moment, I am bit disconnected from the code. Have to read up to
explain more. Feel free to throw more questions, that way I it will help me
will revisit them and write more documentation about it.

Robin