On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Dmitriy Lyubimov <dlie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Eclipse autoformat function is not very useful really. In fact, IMO
> code looks uglier after it than the version i created in the first
> place.

Ugly is not a particularly useful concept here compared to the idea of
"standard".

If using the autoformat means that people like Sean and me complain less
about your code, then autoformat is helpful to you.

Giving up "ugly" or "beautiful" decreases the emotional attachment and makes
it easier to go with the flow.

> Perhaps Idea is better in that regard, but i am not using idea.

I can't say better since I don't know eclipse, but I can say that IDEA is
close to painless in this regard.  I rarely type anything like correct
spacing or indentation (or declare variables or imports or type out
constructors) but instead hit the magic completion or newline keystroke and
the code halfway writes itself.  It will even insert dependencies into the
pom when I auto-complete something from a library I commonly use into code
that doesn't know about it yet.