I don't see why one would believe that the randomly selected items
farther down the list are more likely to engage a user. If anything,
the recommender says they are less likely to be engaging.

(Or put another way, by this reasoning, we ought to pick
recommendations at random.)

I do think that it's possible that a recommender isn't quite capturing
the utility of recommendations correctly. But then that's an issue of
the algorithm.