I have been using ReloadFromJDBCDataModel in my project and it has
been working out well for us. However, there is one problem: reloading
data with ReloadFromJDBCDataModel tends to be slow. We have about 80k
ratings in our DB (not a terribly large data set compared to others I
reckon) and a call to refresh() can take ~10 minutes. Is this to be
expected?

The slow performance is a bummer for us because our new users have the
opportunity to rate a few things on our site upon sign-up right before
they start asking for their first recommendations. But with such a
long reload time, the users don't get to leverage the ratings they've
made during the sign-up for their first recommendations (the time it
takes a user to go from sign-up to first recommendation is < 30
seconds).

Any tips or tricks to speed this process up? Can we somehow
selectively reload data for a user?

-Salil