In the vein of users become contributors become committers:

It seems there has been some spark of interest in contributing more, so I
thought I would pass along a few pointers:

1.  https://cwiki.apache.org/MAHOUT/how-to-contribute.html  -- Details how to
submit patches, etc.  IDE codestyles at the bottom for Eclipse and IntelliJ

2.  If you're not sure what to work on, see JIRA.  We've also started to mark
"intro" issues via the MAHOUT_INTRO_CONTRIBUTE tag:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=labels%20%3D%20MAHOUT_INTRO_CONTRIBUTE

Also feel free to jump in on the backlog
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT/fixforversion/12318886 -- just
starting to be filled in) or on a the next version
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT/fixforversion/12316364)

3. If in doubt, ask on d...@mahout.apache.org

4. If you are interested in working towards being a committer, general
guidelines are here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/How+To+Become+A+Committer

Cheers,
Grant