Hi all, this is a tangent and can mostly be ignored by the people
interested in this problem.

I'm new to Machine Learning and especially Mahout. Following this
discussion has made me a bit confused.
Isn't Mahout used for large datasets where it makes sense to distribute the
work? Why then isn't anyone pointing
out that the problem may be the use of one single Mahout node? Is it
because it's boolean based? Is it because the data set
isn't really that large?

Even if for whatever reason a single node will do for this case, is it
really expected that the recommendation process would finish in less than
half a second?
This makes me think if that is the expectation then the data set is
actually small and Mahout might be overkill...

What obvious piece of the Mahout puzzle am I missing?

Thanks.

Dan