The recent data is usually just the user history, not the off-line
item-item relationship build.

For brand new items, there is the cold start problem, but this is often
handled by putting these items on a "New Arrivals" page so that you can
expose them to users until you get enough data to include them in the next
item-item build.  Enough data is usually around 10 clicks.

It is also plausible to cold-start items based on feature similarity.