I answered on SO:

The only thing I can think of that sounds like this problem is
PageRank. It's computed by a sort of iterative simluation. Each page
has some influence (color) which flows via its links (socks its washed
with) and at some point the page influence reaches a steady state
(final color). You can look up PageRank algorithms but it is
essentially a matter of calculating eigenvectors of a big, erm, sock
color matrix.