Yes. You could define item similarity based on your movie category in
your data: 1 if they're in the same category, 0 if not. That's very
simplistic. And you'd have to write it yourself. But that's what it is
referring to.

However, you need more than an item similarity metric to make a
recommender. You need user-item preferences. Without that you have
nothing to make recommendations from. item-item similarity doesn't
somehow magically tell you what users like what item.