Thanks for the answer, but still...
I will need to keep in memory the rating matrix so I will be able to utilize
the ranking a user gave to items together with the item similarity.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sebastian Schelter [mailto:s...@apache.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:34
To: user@mahout.apache.org
Subject: Re: Mahout beginner questions...

Hi Oren,

If you use an item-based approach, its sufficient to use the top-k
similar items per item (with k somewhere between 25 and 100). That means
the data to hold in memory is num_items * k data points.

While this is a theoretical limitation, it should not be a problem in
practical scenarios, as you can easily fit some hundred million of that
datapoints in a few gigabytes of RAM.

--sebastian

Intel Electronics Ltd.