I am running average absolute difference evaluations of a generic user based
recommender that uses a threshold based neighborhood and pearson correlation to
determine similarity.

I evaluated several recommenders for varying minimum thresholds for the
neighborhood (0.9, 0.8, 0.7, 0.6, 0.5)

I noticed that as I decrease the threshold, the average absolute difference
actually goes down, from:
0.85299 difference at 0.9 threshold of similarity
0.77667 difference at 0.5 threshold of similarity

My original intuition was that a higher threshold of similarity should result
in more similar users appearing in each neighborhood, and hence should result
in lower average absolute differences. However, this does not appear to be the
case. Is there possibly some theoretical reason behind this? I repeated the
same experiments using uncentered cosine similarity and those results reflect
my original intuition (decreased difference when minimum thresholds for
neighborhoods are higher)

I am performing experiments over the movie ratings from group lens.