Have a look at the PlusAnonymousUserDataModel, which is a bit of a
hack but a decent sort of solution for this case. It lets you
temporarily add a user to the system and then everything else works as
normal, so you can make recommendations to these new / temp users.

There isn't a way to inject anything but rating/pref information
directly, no. You can use this info in a Rescorer to influence
recommendations; this is not specific to the case of a new user. You
can also decide to make "recommendations" by a completely different
means for new users -- for example, some canned list of top-10 recs
that is appropriate for their city or referring site. That's
legitimate too in practice.

Yes you can also find most-similar users based on this info. You'd
have to write the similarity metric yourself. I assume this is also
not the metric you use in your real recommender. So maybe you could
use it to find the nearest 1 real user and sub in those
recommendations? or a neighborhood. You would have to rewrite a bit of
what a recommender does to go this way but it's not so hard.

No there is no content-based similarity metric; this is so domain specific.