Note that on page 6 they explicitly say that if they had to actually read
their input, this wouldn't help.  Since they *generate* their input inside
the GPU, they get speedup.  Without that aspect, they wouldn't get any gain.

This is a wildly non-typical case and is a great example of the kind of
program that I mentioned before that has an enormous ratio of compute /
input size.