Sure, this is more or less what you are doing with a matrix
factorization approach, finding underlying features to explain the
ratings.

If the problem you're getting at is the performance issues that can
come up with an approach that scales with the number of user ratings
in the data -- yes matrix factorization doesn't really have this issue
as the data are projected into the same low dimensional space anyway.

I don't know if this is a problem either way for eval though...