> The original question (possibly misphrased and not in so many words) asked
for a way to project any vector into the space spanned by A.

Yes, it was not completely worded. The interpretation above is backwards.
There is a subspace sA. In this subspace there is a set of vectors.
These vectors are rows in a matrix A. We condition matrix A to create
matrix Ak.  All row vectors in A are now in a new subspace sAk.

Now, there is a new row vector in subspace sA. What matrix projects
this row vector into subspace sAk?

One use case is new user recommendations. The new user gives a small
set of items. We would like to find other users. For simplicity, take
users as rows and items as columns in A. We want a conditioned Ak
where we can take a new user with a few preferences, and do a cosine
distance search among other users. With the ability to project a new
user into a conditioned space, we can find other users who may not
have any of the new user's items. Using a conditioned Ak increases
recall at the expense of precision. The more conditioned, the more
recall.

--
Lance Norskog
goks...@gmail.com