The way I do it is to set x different for each user, to the number of
items in the user's test set -- you ask for x recommendations.
This makes precision == recall, note. It dodges this problem though.

Otherwise, if you fix x, the condition you need is stronger, really:
each user needs >= x *test set* items in addition to training set
items to make this test fair.