I agree with that explanation. Is it "why" it's unsupervised.. well I think
of recommendation in the context of things like dimension reduction, which
are just structure-finding exercises. Often the input has no positive or
negative label (a click); everything is 'positive'. If you're predicting
anything, it's not one target, but many targets, one per item, as if you
have many small supervised problems.

Whatever that is called -- I was just saying that it's not a simple
supervised problem, and so it's not necessarily true that the things you do
when testing that kind of thing apply here.

Viewed through the supervised lens, I suppose you could say that this
process only ever predicts the positive class, and that's different. In
fact it is not classifying given test examples at all... it's like it is
telling you which of many classifiers (items) would be most likely to
return the positive class