A common measure of cluster coherence is the mean distance or mean squared
difference between the members and the cluster centroid. It sounds like
this is the kind of thing you're measuring with this all-pairs distances.
That could be a measure too; I've usually seen that done by taking the
maximum such intracluster distance, the 'diameter'.

To answer Ted's question -- you're measuring internal consistency. You're
not trying to find clusters that match some external standard that says
these 100 docs should cluster together, etc.

I'm speaking off the cuff, but I think the idea was that L1/Manhattan
distance may give you clusters that tend to spread out over few rather than
more dimensions, and so that may make them more interpretable -- because
they will tend to be nearly identical in the other several dimensions and
those homogenous dimensions tell you what they're "about".

The reason is that L1 is "indifferent" across dimensions -- moving a unit
in any dimension makes you a unit further/closer from another point --
while in L2 moving along a dimension where you are already close does
little.