So you're clustering 90K dimensional data?

I'm faced with a very similar problem as you (working on
StreamingKMeans for mahout) and from what I read [1], the problem
might be that in very high dimensional spaces the distances become
meaningless.

I'm pretty sure this is the case and I was considering implementing
the test mentioned in the paper (also I feel like it's a very useful
algorithm to have).

In any case, since the vectors are so sparse, why not reduce their dimension?

You can try principal component analysis (just getting the first k
eigenvectors in the singular value decomposition of the matrix that
has your vectors as rows). The class that does this is SSVDSolver
(there's also SingularValueDecomposition but that tries making dense
matrices and those might not fit into memory. I've never personally
used it though.
Once you have the first k eigenvectors of size n, make them rows in a
matrix (U) and multiply each vector x you have with it (U x) getting a
reduced vector.

Or, use random projections to reduce the size of the data set. You
want to create a matrix whose entries are sampled from a uniform
distribution (0, 1) (Functions.random in
o.a.m.math.function.Functions), normalize its rows and multiply each
vector x with it.

So, reduce the size of your vectors thereby making the dimensionality
less of a problem and you'll get a decent approximation (you can
actually quantify how good it is with SVD). From what I've seen, the
clusters separate at smaller dimensions but there's the question of
how good an approximation of the uncompressed data you have.

See if this helps, I need to do the same thing :)

What do you think?

[1] http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axk/dcfin2.pdf