Yes, it des depend on the number of mappers and what Ted suggested
(splitting the input file) worked for me.

Here's [1] the code I used to split a SequenceFile (I wrote so that it
re-splits m files into n files, hence the name).

[1]
https://github.com/dfilimon/mahout/blob/skm/examples/src/main/java/org/apache/mahout/clustering/streaming/tools/ResplitSequenceFiles.java