Dear all,

I am doing experiments as a part of my final project. I'm comparing the
performance of Mahout's implementations of recommender algorithms on some
public dataset (so far bookcross and grouplens). I want to ask 2 questions:

1. The score (RMSE) results quite vary each time I run an algorithm
(sometimes +- 0.5 difference on some algorithms). Is there any way that I
can make it produce the same result on each run? Maybe by setting a seed
somewhere on the code? Or should I just do like 10 run and take the average
score?

2. Where can I see the list of all recommender algorithms already
implemented by Mahout? From what I read on Mahout in Action book, there are
6 algorithms: UserBased, ItemBased, Slope One, SVD, KnnItemBased, and
TreeClustering. Are there new algorithms since then? Oh, and I found both
KnnItem and TreeClustering are deprecated on the newest version of Mahout
(0.8-SNAPSHOT) ? Why is this the case?

--
Regards,
Reinhard Denis Najogie