Since Dominik mentioned item-based and ALS, let me throw in a question here.
I believe that one of the Netflix price solutions combined KNN and ALS.

1) What is the best way to combine the results of both?
2) Is there really merit to this approach?
3) Are there other combinations that make sense?
    (user-based + item-based)?