This accounts for why a neighborhood size of 2 always gives me the best result. Thank you!

Best Regards,
Jimmy

Zhongduo Lin (Jimmy)
MASc candidate in ECE department
University of Toronto

On 2013-05-08 2:40 PM, Alejandro Bellogin Kouki wrote:
AFAIK, the recommender would predict a NaN, which will be ignored by the
evaluator.

However, I am not sure if there is any way to know how many of these
were actually produced in the evaluation step, that is, something like
the count of predictions with a NaN value.

Cheers,
Alex

Zhongduo Lin escribió:
Thank you for the quick response.

I agree that a neighborhood size of 2 will make the predictions more
sensible. But my concern is that a neighborhood size of 2 can only
predict a very small proportion of preference for each users. Let's
take a look at the previous example,  how can it predict item 4 if
item 4 happens to be chosen as in the test set? I think this is quite
common in my case as well as for Amazon or eBay, since the rating is
very sparse. So I just don't know how it can still be run.

User 1                rated item 1, 2, 3, 4
neighbour1 of user 1  rated item 1, 2
neighbour2 of user 1  rated item 1, 3

I wouldn't expect that the Root Mean Square error will have different
performance than the Absolute difference, since in that case most of
the predictions are close to 1, resulting a near zero error no matter
I am using absolute difference or RMSE. How can I say "RMSE is worse
relative to the variance of the data set" using Mahout? Unfortunately
I got an error using the precision and recall evaluation method, I
guess that's because the data are too sparse.

Best Regards,
Jimmy