I have so far just used the weights that Solr applies natively.

In my experience, what makes a recommendation engine work better is, in
order of importance,

a) dithering so that you gather wider data

b) using multiple sources of input

c) returning results quickly and reliably

d) the actual algorithm or weighting scheme

If you can cover items a-c in a real business, you are very lucky.  The
search engine approach handles (b) and (c) by nature which massively
improves the likelihood of ever getting to examine (d).