In point 1, I don't think I'd say it that way. It's not true that
test/training is divided by user, because every user would either be
100% in the training or 100% in the test data. Instead you hold out
part of the data for each user, or at least, for some subset of users.
Then you can see whether recs for those users match the held out data.

Yes then you see how the held-out set matches the predictions by
computing ratios that give you precision/recall.

The key question is really how you choose the test data. It's implicit
data; one is as good as the next. In the framework I think it just
randomly picks a subset of the data. You could also split by time;
that's a defensible way to do it. Training data up to time t and test
data after time t.