I agree with you, I should have mentioned earlier that it would be good to
separate "noise from data" and deal with only what is separable. Of course
there is no truly deterministic implementation of any algorithm, but I would
expect to see "credible" results on a macro-level (in our case it would be nice
to see the same order of recommendations given the fixed seed). It seems
important for experiments (and for testing, as mentioned), isn't it?
Another question is that afaik ALS-WR is deterministic by its inception, so I'm
trying to understand the reasons (and I'm assuming there are some) for the
specific implementation design.

Thanks for a free lunch! ;)
Cheers,Mike.