Thank you for clarification, Robin! My math was a very long time ago, so for me
it was not very obvious that specific optimization problem doesn't hold this
property (and thus cannot be globally optimized). But if anyone interested in
further reading I found some decent material on the subject:
http://www.stanford.edu/~boyd/cvxbook/bv_cvxbook.pdf

Again thank you all for fruitful (at least for me :-P) discussion!