My current advice is to use Hadoop (if necessary) to build a sparse
item-item matrix based on each kind of behavior you have and then drop
those similarities into a search engine to deliver the actual
recommendations.  This allows lots of flexibility in terms of which kinds
of inputs you use for the recommendation and lets you blend recommendations
with search and geo-location.