Another big problem for academia is that it is relatively easy to get OK
performance with a recommender and once you have that, the big wins are
often outside the recommender algorithm.  Often these external factors are
things UI changes to set user expectations and such.  These factors are
essentially impossible to extract into a reproducible academic setting and
thus the academic research is necessarily pushed into a less important part
of the problem.

It isn't even clear that there is a conceivable solution to this issue.

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Sebastian Schelter <ssc.o...@googlemail.com