If you are doing a student project, it may be best for you to do this as a
separate github project that *depends* on Mahout rather than trying to
build a modification to Mahout in the first instance.

The reasons that I say this include:

a) the Apache process will probably be foreign to you at first and will
significantly slow you down as a result.

b) the enthusiasm for your code by the community will depend very much on
whether you can convince us that your code will be high quality and you
will be around to help maintain it.  Purely because this is a student
project, you will have a very hard time doing this this.  That will also
slow down your progress.

c) the level of review for your code will be variable, but it you are able
to get reviews, they are likely to be more stringent than you are used to.
 This can be disheartening and, again, can slow you down.

d) the best route to guarantee the success for your school project is to
get something working well as soon as possible.  This implies that (a-c)
can seriously decrease your success rate.

Taking all of this together, what I suggest is that you start by developing
as a separate project.  This will let you get started instantly and make
progress immediately.  Being separate does not mean that you will lack
support from the Mahout community, you can still invite reviews and
commentary on your approach and your code.  All it means is that you won't
be slowed down by the whole community process and are more likely to have a
successful project.

If your project is successful and if your code fits into the Mahout style
and structure, then moving from a separate project into the mahout mainline
is relatively easy for a self-contained project like a neural network
implementation.

All of this said, you should look at the archives of the mailing list. Yexi
just recently put up some code to do much of what you suggest and you
should comment on the code review.  You should also decide how that code
affects your project.