Hi Michael,

Those are collaborative filtering examples, which would recommend a news
article i, to a user u, based on:
- A weighted average of other users' ratings on i (where weight is the
similarity of two users' rating histories)
- A weighted average of u's ratings on other items (where weight is the
similarity of two items' rating histories, that is, the users rated the
item and how they rated it)
- A combination of the user and item vectors from user and item latent
factor matrices, which are obtained by decomposing the original rating
matrix.

If you are expecting the system recommend to a user only the news articles
those have similar content to the older news articles that the user had
shown a positive interest before, this is content-based filtering.
Also, the example you mentioned (recommending brand new articles)
introduces a challenge called cold-start problem, and content-based
filtering can generalize to cold-start articles, too.

A search in user-list for content-based filtering/recommendation can help
you (I am saying this because there were some great discussions on how to
achieve this with Mahout, for example, with custom similarity measures). if
you can't find anything satisfying, we can discuss that further.

Best,
Gokhan