Okay so I rethought my question and realized that the paper never really
talked about collaborative filtering but just how to calculate item-item
similarity in a scalable fashion. Perhaps this is the reason for why the
common ratings aren't used? Because that's not a pre-req for this
calculation?

Although for my own clarity, I'd still like to get a better understanding
of what it means to calculate the correlation between sparse vectors where
you're normalizing each vector using a separate denominator.

P.S. If my question(s) don't make sense please let me know for it's very
possible I am completely misunderstanding something :-).

Thanks again!
Amit