copy-dependencies turned out to be necessary for examples module, so I've
reverted the change there.

I'm using eclipse myself and I do not have build issues as your reported.
First, please make sure that you're using latest eclipse, m2e, and m2e
connector for build-helper-maven-plugin. For mahout-math-scala module you
will also need Scala IDE for Eclipse, and Maven Integration for Scala IDE
installed.
Before running the build, update maven project configuration from pom.xml
for all modules (select all modules --> right click any of them --> Maven
--> Update Project... --> OK).
When building, run "clean install" goals, with or without tests. You can
configure all this in eclipse maven build run configuration.

Kind regards,
Stevo Slavic.