Unfortunately methinks the prospects of something like Mahout/MLLib merge
seem very unlikely due to vastly diverged approach to the basics of linear
algebra (and other things). Just like one cannot grow single tree out of
two trunks -- not easily, anyway.

It is fairly easy to port (and subsequently beat) MLib at this point from
collection of algorithms point of view. But IMO goal should be more
MLI-like first, and port second. And be very careful with concepts.
Something that i so far don't see happening with MLib. MLib seems to be
old-style Mahout-like rush to become a collection of basic algorithms
rather than coherent foundation. Admittedly, i havent looked very closely.