Yes, there are ways to debug.

One is to attach a remote debugger, set breakpoints, etc., like so:
https://www.google.com/search?q=attach+remote+debugger+java+example+eclipse+or+intellij

The other would be to write a log4j.properties file for Mahout and/or
Hadoop and set the logging level to "more wordy", like DEBUG.  I did this
with Hadoop years ago and recently tried with Mahout but didn't get it
working.

The remote debugger would let you step through code while the DEBUG level
would open up some more informative stack traces as I understand.