From: Si Chen [mailto:sic...@opensourcestrategies.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:15 PM
To: user@mahout.apache.org
Subject: market basket analysis of low sales volume products

Hi everybody,

I'd like to do some market basket analysis to suggest cross-sells, but many of
the products are very low sales volume items, so in the past the results
weren't that useful.

Do you think it would make sense to do market basket analysis at more aggregate
levels, for example by brand, product keywords, and product categories, to
develop a set of heuristic rules?  Then we can use those rules to say that even
if we haven't sold product X, because it has brand A, category B, or type C,
then it should be cross-sold with some other products.

Does that sound like a reasonable strategy?  Has anybody ever tried this?

--
Si Chen
Open Source Strategies, Inc.