Floris,

Given the size of the data you have and the goals that you have, I am not
convinced that recommendation is the right fit for your needs.

I would recommend using multi-dimensional response analysis and then define
distance between users in terms of the latent variables you get from that.
 You should be able to cluster directly in terms of those latent variables.

Also, for cloze exercises, I think you may be missing some important
information by only counting correct/incorrect.  The word that is filled
(if any) could be a huge hint if you know it.

My feeling is that since you need lots of algorithmic flexibility and since
your dataset fits R, that you really will not be well served by Mahout.
 The virtues of Mahout really only come out at very large scale and only
for particular problems.

Also, you have at this point pretty much exhausted my knowledge of
item-response theory.

On Sat, May 17, 2014 at 6:04 AM, Floris Devriendt <florisdevrie...@gmail.com