I'm pretty sure it works with Mahout 0.9 as well. Assuming that you are
using the Mahout single machine implementation, did you import
"org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.impl.model.jdbc.MySQLJDBCDataModel"? If it is a
compilation error, you should probably import proper libraries and update
the pom.xml file.

If you are not that concerned about the performance of your program, then
you can even use the ordinary Java MySQL connector.

--
Warunika