When beginning to use a recommender from Mahout I always suggest you start from
the defaults. These often give the best results—then tune afterwards to improve.

Your intuition is correct that multiple actions can be used to improve results
but get the basics working first. The easiest way to use multiple actions is to
use spark-itemsimilarity so since you are using mapreduce for now, just use one
action.

I would not try to combine the results from two similarity measures there is no
benefit since LLR is better than any of them, at least I’ve never seen it
loose. Below is my experience with trying many of the similarity metrics on
exactly the same data. I did cross-validation with precision (MAP, mean average
precision). LLR wins in other cases I’ve tried too. So LLR is the only method
presently used in the Spark version of itemsimilarity.

If you still get weird results double check your ID mapping. Run a small bit of
data through and spot check the mapping by hand.

At some point you will want to create a cross-validation test. This is good as
a sort of integration sanity check when making changes to the recommender. You
run cross-validation using standard test data to see if the score changes
drastically between releases. Big changes may indicate a bug. At the beginning
it will help you tune as in the case above where it helped decide on LLR.