There is also the mahout Reader and Writer traits and classes that currently
work with text delimited file I/O. These were imagined as a general framework
to support parallelized read/write to any format and store using whatever
method is expedient, including the ones Dmitriy mentions. I personally would
like to do MongoDB since I have an existing app using that.

These are built to support a sort of extended-DRM (IndexedDataset) which
maintains external IDs. These IDs can be anything you can put in a string like
Mongo or Cassandra keys or can be left as human readable external keys. From an
IndexedDataset you can get a CheckpointedDRM and do anything in the DSL with it.

They are in the spark module but the base traits have been moved to the core
“math-scala” to make the concepts core with implementations in left in the
engine specific modules. This is work about to be put in a PR but you can look
at it in the master to see if it helps—expect some refactoring shortly.

I’m sure there will be changes needed for DBs but haven’t gotten to that so
would love another set of eyes on the code.