Hi,
I have done classification using mahout.
suppose a file named Testfile has size of 20 Mb and test contents are as
below

*category  id                  description*
sports      xxx                cricket,football etc
sports      xxxx                cricket,vollyball etc
news       yyyy                poltical,etc
news       ppppp              news channel

Now in above file, we want to do text categorization( suppose we have 2
category sports and news)
suppose our 60% data consists of first 4 lines of Testfile and 40% consists
of last line.
Than if I want to use 60% as trained data and 40 % as test data than mahout
will train with first 4 line and will make a binary model.
Now while testing it will remove the category from the last line(i.e 40% of
file) and will input this file to model to test.

so that , the result category can be compared with the actual file and
efficiency of algorithm can be evaluated.

I think same applied to your case too.