I am not aware of _any_ scenario under which lanczos would be faster (see
N. Halko's dissertation for comparisons), although admittedly i did not
study all possible cases.

having -k=100 is probably enough for anything.  I would not recommend
running -q>0 for k>100 as it would become quite slow in power iterations
step.

to your other questions, e.g. U*sigma result output, see "overview and
usage" link given here:
http://mahout.apache.org/users/dim-reduction/ssvd.html