I tend to agree with D.

For example, I set out to do the 'Eigenfaces problem' last year, and wrote
a blog on it.  It ended up being about 4 lines of Samsara code (+ imports),
the "hardest" part was loading images into vectors, and then vectors back
into images (wasn't awful, but I was new to Scala).  In addition to the
modest marketing and a lack of introductory tutorials, is that to really
use Mahout-Samsara in the first place you need to have a fairly good grasp
of linear algebra, which gives it significantly less mass-appeal than say
an mllib/sklearn/etc. Your
I-just-got-my-data-science-certificate-from-coursera data scientists simply
aren't equipped to use Mahout.  Your advanced-R-type data scientists can
use it- but unless they have a problem that is to big for a single machine,
have no motivation to use it (may change with native solvers, more
algorithms, etc), and even given motivation the question then becomes learn
Mahout OR come up with a clever trick for being able to stay in a single
machine.

But yea- a fairly easy and pleasant framework.  If you have the proper
motivation, there is simply nothing else like it.

tg

Trevor Grant
Data Scientist
https://github.com/rawkintrevo
http://stackexchange.com/users/3002022/rawkintrevo
http://trevorgrant.org

*"Fortunate is he, who is able to know the causes of things."  -Virgil*