I don't know of any difference from a SharePoint standpoint between
MOSS and WSS, except for additional Office-related plugins on MOSS.

"Connection working" means you could could get to SharePoint at least.

Can you look in the log and find the exception associated with the
"Cannot open the requested Sharepoint Site" error?  It should give a
clue as to what the connector is trying to do at that time.

Thanks,
Karl