To solve your production problem I highly recommend limiting the size of
the docs fed to Tika, for a start.  But that is no guarantee, I understand.

Out of memory problems are very hard to get good forensics for because they
cause major disruptions to the running server.  You could turn on a degree
of logging so that you can see what documents are being processed at any
time by all threads, but that is pretty verbose.  In your properties.xml
file, add <property name="org.apache.manifoldcf.crawlerthreads"
value="DEBUG"/>.  But I suspect that will generate far too much noise.
Still, it's the best I can offer.

Karl