The reason plain text is used is because otherwise standard text processing
inside Lucene will index tags as terms, which is definitely not what you
usually want.

If you want the Tika Extractor to be able to optionally generate an XHTML
format, that sounds like an additional operating mode for the Tika
Extractor.  To do that you'd need to add a flag, probably to the Output
Specification, with associated UI components, and be sure to maintain
backwards compatibility.

Karl