I had a quick look at Jira. I think there is already a ticket which
covers the reqirement of using a sitemap.xml file which is referenced by
robots.txt

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CONNECTORS-1657

I'll update this ticket with infos from the sitemap protocol page
https://www.sitemaps.org/protocol.html#submit_robots

I'll try to add other tickets to require the functionality to send the
sitemap directly to the 'search engine' (in our case this role is played
by the ManifoldCF Web connector)

Sebastian

Am 07.07.2021 16:00 schrieb Karl Wright:

> If you wish to add a feature request, please create a CONNECTORS ticket that
> describes the functionality you think the connector should have.
>
> Karl
>
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 9:29 AM h0444xk8 <h0444...@posteo.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> yes, that seems to be the reason. In:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/manifoldcf/blob/030703a7f2bbfbb5a8dcde529b29ead830a7f60c/connectors/rss/connector/src/main/java/org/apache/manifoldcf/crawler/connectors/rss/Robots.java
>>  [1]
>>
>> there is the following code sequence:
>>
>> else if (lowercaseLine.startsWith("sitemap:"))
>> {
>> // We don't complain about this, but right now we don't
>> listen to it either.
>> }
>>
>> But if I have a look at:
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/manifoldcf/blob/030703a7f2bbfbb5a8dcde529b29ead830a7f60c/connectors/webcrawler/connector/src/main/java/org/apache/manifoldcf/crawler/connectors/webcrawler/WebcrawlerConnector.java
>>  [2]
>>
>> a sitemap containing an urlset seems to be handled
>>
>> else if (localName.equals("urlset") || localName.equals("sitemapindex"))
>> {
>> // Sitemap detected
>> outerTagCount++;
>> return new
>> UrlsetContextClass(theStream,namespace,localName,qName,atts,documentURI,handler);
>> }
>>
>> So, my question is: is there another way to handle sitemaps inside the
>> Web Crawler?
>>
>> Cheers Sebastian
>>
>> Am 07.07.2021 12:23 schrieb Karl Wright:
>>
>>> The robots parsing does not recognize the "sitemaps" line, which was
>>> likely not in the spec for robots when this connector was written.
>>>
>>> Karl

>> Links:
>> ------
>> [1] https://www.example.de/sitemap/de-sitemap.xml.gz [3]